"T H E O F F I C I A L" B B S F A Q Version 1.0 Copyright (C) - 1994 Author/Editor - Claire Walters firstname.lastname@example.org BBSFAQ@AOL.COM
SUBJECT: Frequently asked questions for, alt.bbs, alt.bbs.allsysop,
comp.bbs.misc Usenet newsgroups.
PURPOSE: To answer frequently asked questions for those wanting to
setup a BBS.
T A B L E O F C O N T E N T S
CHAPTER 1 -INTRODUCTION TO THE FAQ
* 1.01 - Introduction
1.02 - Disclaimers 1.03 - Copyright Notice 1.04 - Trademark Information 1.05 - Where can I download the BBS FAQ?
1.06 - Meet the FAQ Writers
CHAPTER 2 - THE WORLD OF BBSING INSIDE YOUR PC
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= COMMERCIAL BBS SOFTWARE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
DOS BASED SOFTWARE
2.01 - Excalibur BBS 2.02 - Major BBS 2.03 - Searchlight 2.04 - PC Board 2.05 - TBBS-The Bread Board System 2.06 - Wildcat! BBS
HOST PROGRAMS FOR MS WINDOWS
2.07 - Filex 2.08 - Freemail
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= SHAREWARE/FREEWARE BBS SOFTWARE =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
DOS BBS SOFTWARE (shareware/Freeware)
- Charisma BBS - DLX BBS - EISBBS - Executive Host For Telix - Falken - Feathernet Pro - FidoBBS - FreeSpeech BBS v3.10a - Harmony BBS - Illusions BBS - JetBBS - KBBS - Maximus v2.01wb - Mutant BBS - Opus CBCS 1.73a - Osiris XLT BBS - Pheonix BBS - QuickBBS - Remote Access - Renegade - RoboBoard BBS - RyBBS - Sapphire BBS v4.05 - SpitFire v3.4 - SuperBBS - Synchronet - TAG BBS - Telegard - TriBBS - TurboBoard BBS - UltraBBS - VBBS/Virtual BBS - Vision-X - Waffle BBS - WWIV
OPEN YOUR WINDOWS TO THE WORLD!
- What is Ghost BBS? - Power BBS - Front Line for Windows v3.8
=-=-=-=-=-=-= OS/2 Q&A =-=-=-=-=-=-=
- What is OS/2? - Why not just DOS? - What are the advantages of OS/2 as a BBS? - What are the disadvantages of OS/2 as a BBS? - What BBS software runs in OS/2?
=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-= OS/2 SHAREWARE/FREEWARE BBS PROGRAMS =-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=
- Oblivion/2 2.10 - Kitten - Lora v2.33-1 - Magnum v7.00C - Maximus v2.01wb - Virtual BBS v6.10 (VBBS)
OS/2 COMMERCIAL BBS's
- What basic hardware setup do I need to start a BBS? - What hardware is needed to add more phone lines?
NETWORKING YOUR PC BBS
- Introduction - What is a network? - What do I need for a network? - The Topology - Hop on the bus - Hitch your dreams to a Star - The NIC - The NOS and Network Type - Novell Netware - LanTastic - Windows for WorkGroups - The New Kid In Town: CoActive - EtherWave - How does all this hardware help me?
CD-ROMS & YOUR PC BBS
- How do I add a CD-ROM to my BBS? - Can I have more than one CD-Rom for my users to access? - Do I need any special software to run a CD-rom(s)? - Books & other resources when using a Cd-rom on your BBS
- What is RIPScript? - What is a fossil driver? - What do I need to offer fax services to my users? - Front-End Mailers
ANSII & the PC BBS
- No outline provided yet
FILE CHECKING PROGRAMS
- When users upload files, what utilities are avilable to check for
viruses & duplicates?
- What is QWK mail? - The BBS software I chose did not include QWK mail capabilties, how
do I add QWK mail to my BBS?
- What QWK mail software is available?
- What is a BBS door? - What doors are available? - How do I install a door? - Notes of Multi-line systems - Notes on DOORWAY
CHAPTER 3 - SYSOPING WITH MACINTOSH/APPLE
3.00 - Where can I get a copy of the Macintosh BBS FAQ?
COMMERCIAL BBS SOFTWARE
3.01 - NOVALINK PRO 3.02 - FIRSTCLASS 3.03 - TELEFINDER 3.04 - Commercial Software comparison chart
SHAREWARE/FREEWARE MACINTOSH BBS SOFTWARE
3.05 - HERMES II 3.06 - MANSION 3.07 - PUBLIC ADDRESS v0.9b9 3.08 - SECOND SIGHT 3.09 - Hi BBS
HARDWARE NEEDED TO RUN A MAC BBS
WHAT HARDWARE IS NEEDED TO RUN A MACINTOSH BBS?
3.10 - The Basics 3.11 - A Minimum Machine 3.12 - Hard drives and accessing information. 3.13 - Accelerating your Macintosh BBS 3.14 - CD ROMS and your BBS
SETTING UP PHONE LINES ON A MACINTOSH
3.15 - Serial ports on a Mac 3.16 - Multiport cards for expanding the number of lines 3.17 - SCSI interfaces for expansion 3.18 - Other connection types for the Macintosh
MODEMS & THE MACINTOSH BBS
3.19 - Modems 3.20 - Carrier detect and the Macintosh 3.21 - Hardware handshaking and the Macintosh 3.22 - High speed modems
THE MACINTOSH & PUBLIC NETWORKS
3.23 - NOVAWORLD 3.24 - THE ONENET NETWORK 3.25 - FIDONET ON THE MACINTOSH
COMPRESSION OF FILES TO SAVE DISK SPACE ON YOUR MAC
3.26 - Why compress files? 3.27 - Stuffit format 3.28 - Compact Pro Format 3.29 - Binhex 3.30 - Zip format
RIDING A MAC ON THE INTERNET
- Not provided at the time of this release
CHAPTER 4 - UNIX AT YOUR SERVICE
4.01 - What's a Unix? 4.02 - The Pro's & Cons of a Unix BBS 4.03 - What factors should I consider when starting BBS on UNIX?
SHAREWARE/FREEWARE BBS SOFTWARE
What shareware BBSes are available for Unix?
4.04 - Citadel/UX 4.05 - DOC 4.06 - PANDA 4.07 - UBBS 1.01 (Linux) 4.08 - UniBoard 1.12 4.09 - XBBS 7.21 4.10 - Magpie 4.11 - UnixBBS
COMMERCIAL UNIX BBS SOFTWARE
- TEAMate BBS
- What would I need to start a small dial-up BBS to run
on a UNIX box?
- What hardware & software do I need to network my Unix BBS?
CHAPTER 5 - BBSing WITH AMIGA
AMIGA COMMERCIAL BBS SOFTWARE
5.01 - AmiExpress 5.02 - BBX 5.03 - CNet Amiga 5.04 - DLG Pro. v1.0 5.05 - Excelsior! BBS 5.06 - MEBBS 5.07 - XENOLINK 1.90
AMIGA SHAREWARE/FREEWARE BBS SOFTWARE
- 4D-BBS - ABBS Software - AXsh - CITADEL - Reccoon - TransAmiga - Max's BBS v1.52
WHAT IS THE BASIC HARDWARE I WOULD NEED TO SETUP AN AMIGA BBS?
- Introduction - Commodore Amiga on the inside. - Know your needs when setting up a BBS, or your company's needs. - An explanation of Amiga systems. - Pro's & Con's about Amiga hardware when running a BBS.
INTERNET AMIGA STYLE
- No Outline provided
CHAPTER 6 - SYSOPS SURFING THE SUPER HIGHWAY
* I want to provide Internet access on my BBS…
(Topics to be covered) - Who do I contact to get Internet on my BBS?
- Are there different type of internet connections? If so, what are
- What is TCP/IP, SLIP, UUCP, ISDN, leased lines? - What type of software do I need to have an Internet connection? - Satelite Services - Turn your PC into a Usenet Site
CHAPTER 7 - NET IT UP - GETTING YOUR BBS ON AN ECHO NETWORK 7.01 - Why network? 7.02 - What is an echo net? 7.03 - Where do I find information? 7.04 - Do echo networks charge? 7.05 - What are the differences between networking technologies? 7.06 - What do I have to do to join? 7.07 - Do I have to get rid of my cats to join Fidonet? 7.08 - Do the echo nets have e-mail? 7.09 - How can I start my own net? 7.10 - How will my users interact with the nets? 7.11 - How can I avoid becoming merely a "net outlet?" 7.12 - How can I start my own net? 7.13 - What are some of the network that are out there?
CHAPTER 8 -SETTING UP FILE LIBRARIES Q: Where can I get an assorted selection of shareware/freeware files
to start up the file libraries on my BBS?
8.01 - Shareware vendors 8.02 - Encouraging your users to upload
CHAPTER 9 - LEGAL ISSUES FACING THE BBS SYSOP 9.1 - Introduction
9.2 - The Legal Risks
Civil Lawsuits Criminal Liability
9.3 - The Major Issues and Some Suggestions
- 9.3.1 Negligence - 9.3.2 Breach of Contract - 9.3.3 Viruses - 9.3.4 Public Messages and Defamation - 9.3.5 E-mail, Privacy, and ECPA - 9.3.6 Encryption - 9.3.7 Copyright Infringement - 9.3.8 Obscene Material, Child Pornography and Indecent Speech - 9.3.9 Regulated Activities - 9.3.10 Taxes
9.4 Limiting Liability Through Disclaimers
9.6 Closing Thoughts and Some Legal Resources
CHAPTER 10 - DECISIONS OF A SYSOP 10.01 - So you want to be a sysop? 10.02 - How much do I charge my users?
10.03 - Can I make money running a BBS? 10.04 - Building your online commmunity. 10.05 - Books & other helpful sources for sysops
10.06 - Carrier Detected
10.07 - Takin' a spin through the CD-Rom showroom
—————- END OF TABLE OF CONTENTS ——————–