WHAT THIS IS:
- The 144BBS List is a collection of numbers reported as belonging to
US BBSes with one or more lines supporting v.32bis, v.fast class and v.34 CONNECTs.
- 144BBS List is compiled and maintained by Ken Sukimoto, SysOp of the
DownTown BBS as a service to DownTown BBS subscribers and other callers and is published on an irregular basis although we try to have a new release on the first of each month.
- 144BBS List is also available as a comma delimited file for those of
you using BBS doors for online display and/or in need of info for database applications. This file is distributed as 144BBS.DB.
WHAT THIS ISN'T:
- This is not intended to be an advertising list. With the way BBS's
change, there is no way I or most anyone else could keep up with software/hardware changes, doorways added/deleted, specialties of the BBS and other features that make a BBS unique. This would also make 144BBS even larger than it currently is and just one more opportunity to be inaccurate.
- Although it is the goal, 144BBS is not comprehensive. I am quite sure
there are a lot of BBS's that have been omitted - rather than attempt to guess at BBS names/numbers/cities and modem types, I am depending on reliable sources to submit these missing BBS's and accurate information about them.
COPYRIGHT AND DISTRIBUTION:
- Since the content of 144BBS is for the most part public knowledge, no
formal copyright for content is applied for.
- I'm not even sure that the name "144BBS" isn't already copyrighted;
if it isn't, then that is the only copyright claimed.
- Rather than legalese and restrictions, I request common courtesy in
the distribution of 144BBS List.
- No fee should be charged for 144BBS List other than normal system
- 144BBS List is dedicated to the SysOps who install high speed modems,
enabling users to access systems at higher and higher speeds. It is also dedicated to these same users who motivated the SysOps to install these modems through their contributions; material, inspirational and otherwise.
- Thanks go to the SysOps, Users and Administrators of U'NI Net,
SmartNet, MajorNet and Intelec for their help and the use of their networks to gather information for this list.
NAMING CONVENTION & MISCELLANEA:
- When distributing this list, do not rename 144BBS.DB or 144BBS.TXT! - Most BBSes don't like unarchived text files, so if archived, name the
archive "144DB-a#.ext" or "144BBSa#" where: a = alpha designator - A=Jan; B=Feb; C=Mar; L=Dec # = the last number of the year; 1994 = 4, 19955 = 5 ext = whatever extension the archiving program defaults to. The December, 1994 release will be named 144BBSL4.ZIP (using PKZIP to archive) as an example of the naming convention.
- Please note - many systems listed are multi-line or multi-node and
their inclusion on this list does not mean the number listed has that particular setup available. Some BBSes are subscription and reserve the high speed lines for subscribers only.
- The 144BBS archives on The DownTown BBS and those directly uploaded
by KEN SUKIMOTO are archived using the PKZIP -AV authencity validation option. When extracted, the -AV information should display The Downtown BBS name and the # AIN871 registration.
- The DownTown BBS is currently a 16 line Worldgroup system with access
on your first call to download 144BBS. See the file 144PICK.UP for the procedure.
Modem Type Legend
VFC = 14.4k v.32bis/28.8 v.fast class V32B = 14,400 CCITT v.32bis V32T = 19,200 AT&T v.32terbo V34 = 28.8k ITU-T/v.32bis V34E = v.34/v.fast class/v.32terbo (aka "v.everything") V34F = v.34/v.fast class V34+ = v.34 with additional 31.2k and 33.6k capabilities
- Because these numbers have not been verified, the Compiler of 144BBS
will not be responsible for erroneous information.
- Inclusion/exclusion of a BBS is NOT an endorsement/condemnation of
ERRORS & ADDITIONS:
- If you should find a number on the list that is NOT a modem number,
please notify the DownTown BBS so it can be noted & removed from our database.
- If there is an error or if a BBS updates/modifies modem[s], please
contact the DownTown BBS.
- If you are a SysOp and wish to be included in the next release of
144BBS, please use the program and procedure contained in the SUBMIT.ZIP file archived in the 144BBS.ZIP file. After filling out the information, you can call the DownTown BBS and leave your board info in private e-mail addressed to User_ID "Sysop" with the subject of "144BBS" or you can send the information to one of the addresses below via Net or US Mail.
- Please do not send public messages to KEN SUKIMOTO on networks with
your correction, new entry or comment. If I see the message, I will attempt to act upon the information, but many networks frown upon or prohibit sending PUBLIC messages for this purpose. I will not acknowledge receiving those messages.
- The preferred methods of contact are either by direct e-mail on my
system or I can be reached by PRIVATE e-mail on several networks that offer this feature. The networks and my address on them are listed below.
- 144BBS.DB or 144BBS.TXT should not be modified to modify/add/delete
THE DOWNTOWN BBS LOS ANGELES, CA 213-484-0260 [3/12/24/96/14.4k bps v.32bis & 16.8k ZyXEL] US Robotics v.34/v.fc/v.everything lines available Telnet to dwntwn.com (IP Address 18.104.22.168) 15 Gigabytes of Adult Graphics 7 Gigabytes of Hard Drive Library Storage 10+ Gigabytes on 18 CD-ROM Disks, On-line
US-SnailMail Address DownTown BBS 1008 N. Rosemont Avenue; #113 Los Angeles, CA 90026-3032
Network E-mail Addresses MajorNet: Sysop@DWN Internet: Sysop@dwntwn.Com
[End of File]